Monday, March 15, 2010

Spiced Plum Upside Down Cake



On a dreary and rainy day I often want to feel the warmth of my oven and have my house filled with the smell of baking comfort. Last Sunday afternoon  I found myself thinking that it was the perfect day to bake something full of spice. Needing to use up some plums, I came up with this delicious and rather beautiful plum cake! It has a hint of sweet and tart surrounded by the warmth of cinnamon and nutmeg. This is very simple but looks so elegant. When I saw the end result I realized that it would be the perfect desert for the holidays or a dinner party. It's so beautiful!  It is simple gourmet.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter 
1/4 cup brown sugar

Coat a 9 inch round pan with baking spray. (I used a silicon pan) Melt butter and brown sugar in the oven until bubbly. Set aside.

1/3 cup soft butter
1 cup unbleached sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cups unbleached white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
4 black plums, pitted and thinly sliced

Cream the butter, and sugar together. Add egg, vanilla, and milk. Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg.

Lay out the sliced plums to cover the pre-baked butter and brown sugar mixture. Make any design you desire. Pour out the batter to cover the plums and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Try switching up the fruit to make a brand new creation! Or line the outside of the pan with plums and fill the inside circle with fresh blueberries. The possibilities are endless!!!!


1 comment:

  1. A wonderful new version of this cake! I prepared the butter and brown sugar the same as the original recipe, but once it was bubbly I sprinkled cinnamon on the butter mixture and then layered thinly sliced apples around the pan. I then zested fresh nutmeg on the apples and then poured on the cake batter. I also didn't have butter softened in time so I used vegetable oil instead. It was spectacular!!!!!

    ReplyDelete