Friday, September 20, 2013

Peach and Blueberry Crostata

 
 
If you're wondering what a crostata is, it is just an Italian term for a rustic pie. It's the same ingredients as a pie just without all the precision and work! In my pie crust I use a whole wheat pastry flour. I find it at our little local Amish Bulk store. It's perfect for all my baking needs. I hope you can hunt some down and test it out for yourself. The local Farmer's Market had the most delicious organic peaches this year! We mainly just ate them by the dozens but towards the end of the season came this perfect crostata that I sincerely wish I had another piece of right now! Enjoy!
 
Ingredients for the crust: Makes 2 medium crostatas

1 3/4 cups  flour of choice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unbleached or raw sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/3 cup of very cold water 
2 tsp apple cider vinegar- I know sounds weird. Trust me, it's fine.
 
Stir the dry ingredients together to incorporate. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until it resembles a wet sand consistency. Add half of the cold water and the vinegar. Stir until a dough forms. If it is still too dry add a bit more of the water. You may not need the full amount. That's fine. Once a dough ball begins to form, divide the ball into two and wrap both in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour. At this point you could freeze the dough too for future uses. If you want to make one very large crostata, leave it in one ball to roll out after it has chilled.
 
*I have also done this crust in my food processor. The order of the steps would be the same*
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
 
Ingredients for the pie filling:
2 cups of thinly sliced peaches with the skins on- trust me on this one too. So much easier.
1 cup of blueberries- fresh or frozen
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup of  unbleached or raw sugar
 
Toss to combine all the ingredients. Pile in the middle of the rolled out pie crust and flatten around into a circle. Roll the edges of the dough up onto the fruit. Brush the dough with some milk and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees and then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until bubbling and the crust has browned.
 
 
Well hello you pretty thing.... Love the sugared crust!
 







 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment