Saturday, November 21, 2009

Whole Grain Pumpkin Pancakes


Now... before you turn your nose up give me a chance! This is a spin on regular pumpkin pancakes and the changes to make them whole grain will add nothing but lovely texture and lots of fiber, protein and Omega 3's. But all you will taste is a wonderul fluffy pancake oozing with spice and warmth surrounded by the endearing flavor of pumpkin that the season is most famous for. So give these a try next time you are making pancakes for breakfast. Or surprise your family with breakfast for dinner and let them enjoy the sweetness of the pancake while you enjoy knowing you are filling them with nutrients and strength.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup ground oats
1/2 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup pumpkin
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger

I put every thing in my mixing bowl one after the other and just kept the mixer on. Easy and fast!
Mix together eggs, milk, oil, applesauce, vanilla and pumpkin. Add in flours, flax, oats, baking powder, sugar salt and spices. Blend well.

Serve with butter and syrup, cinnamon butter, cinnamon sugar or any other topping you and your family love.

*I added a few chocolate chips to the last couple pancakes for my little boy. He loved it!

2 comments:

  1. Try replacing the whole wheat flour, and white flour with whole wheat pastry flour. It's very yummy and has a great soft, tender texture. Then you don't need any white flour and it becomes 100% whole grain. :) These look yummy, I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It funny that I am typing this to you as I am cooking them :) I have my laptop here on the counter and I am just waiting for the skillet to finish heating up. I didn't have any flax seed so I added some extra whole wheat flour.I hope that it turns out. Also, last fall I cooked up and froze my own pumpkin puree. It was so easy, and I will definitely do it again next year.
    While I was mixing this all up I tasted a small amount and realized that I hadn't added the sugar :) Thank goodness I did that small taste test! I will let you know how it turns out without the flax - although I need to go get some soon!

    ReplyDelete