Monday, March 28, 2011

Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache

 
A day of girls having fun at a purse party needs just one thing... chocolate! I have been needing a reason to make this cake again and my Thirty One Gifts party was the perfect excuse! And altough I have never made ganache before, it was so easy it didn't require any experience. This cake is moist and dark and perfect! And I hope you make it and enjoy every lovely smile provoking bite...

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Prepare the boiled cup of water

Ingredients:
2 cups of sugar
1 3/4 cups of unbleached flour 
3/4 cups of cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup of boiling water
1 10 oz jar of raspberry jam (I used Smuckers Simply Fruit)

Ingredients for Ganache:
1 bag of chocolate chips (I used Ghiardelli dark chocolate)
1 1/2 cups of Heavy Cream

Mix up the dry ingredients with a whisk until well combined. Make a small well in the center and whisk up the wet ingredients, then stir it all to combine. Stir in the boiled water and there you have it. The batter will be very watery, but it's okay. It bakes up beautifully! Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cool the cakes completely. Stir up the jam in the jar to loosen it. Transfer one cake to the serving plate, spread the whole jar of jam over the cake and top with the second cake. It may seem like a lot of jam, but it seems to need the whole jar.


To make the ganache simply simmer some water in a pot and place a bowl over the simmering water. Pour the chocolate chips into the bowl to melt. Once melty, stir in the heavy cream until combined. Let cool to room temperature. At this point I simply poured over my cake and let it drizzle down the sides. It could also be whipped up into a whipped ganache and I will be trying this sometime for sure!

YUM! This got lots of "Oh my goodness" reactions. My sister, who is pregnant, got us eating it with that fruit in the background. It is simply a fantastic cake! 

4 comments:

  1. making this for luca's birthday this year! yummm. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED to make this again too! Thank you for liking my recipes! I so appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you tried making the whipped ganache yet?? i'm curious about it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did whip it. I allowed it to cool in the fridge until it hardened up and then whipped it! It was yummy! You could add some butter and powdered sugar to it so that there was a larget amount of icing for a layer cake.

    ReplyDelete