Monday, November 14, 2011

Homemade Plain Yogurt

I have said before that I have amazing friends, but I must state it again. I have the coolest friends! Friends who laugh with me, celebrate with me, love me and most important of all, teach me how to make homemade yogurt! I am thankful for the blessing of friendship.... and money saving tips! My milk cost me $3.66 and I got 8 cups of yogurt.

Ingredients:
2 quart crockpot with a "low" setting
½ gallon of whole milk
1/2 cup yogurt with live culture


Turn your crockpot to low and pour in ½ gallon of milk. Heat on low for 2 ½ hours. After 2 ½ hours, turn the crockpot off. Unplug it and let the milk cool in the crock with the lid on for 3 hours. After 3 hours, add 1/2 cup of yogurt with live active cultures and whisk well.
Place the cover back on the crock and wrap the entire crockpot with a thick blanket. Let it culture overnight, about 8-12 hours. Transfer into a large container and it's done! Chill before eating. We mix in our favorite "all fruit" jam or honey. So yummy!

You can keep a ½ cup of this back for your next batch.


*I have also tried a stovetop method that works too if you do not have a small crockpot. Using a large pot, and stirring almost constantly, bring the milk up to 180 degrees. I used a candy thermometer but if you do not have one you can just watch for small bubbles to start forming around the edges of the pan. When they begin to form or your thermometer is up to 180 degrees, reduce heat and simmer at this temp for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to 110 degrees or luke warm. I set mine in the sink that had a bit of cold water and cooled it that way. Once cooled, whisk in 1/2 cup of live yogurt, and place in an oven safe/fridge storing container. I used a 8 cup glass measuring bowl with a lid. Leave in the oven with the light on for 8 hours. Place in fridge. Eat after it is chilled.*

1 comment:

  1. blessed by your friendship as well, looks great!

    ReplyDelete