Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shredded Chicken and Black Bean Tacos


Simple and Mexican.... seems to be my favorite combo lately! And I am not changing that anytime soon. My husband must have picked up on this theme because I got a Mexican cook book for my birthday and I am very excited to learn different techniques and how to make some of my favorite dishes! Cilantro and lime, need I say more?! Of course, I will be sharing it all with you.... 

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded * See below comment
1/4 of an onion
1/2 of any pepper you have
3/4 of a cup of black beans
1-2 TBSP of taco seasoning
1/4 cup of water

I boil my chicken in 2 cups of chicken broth. (Mainly because it's all I can do to get it into the broth and still be able to eat it! I get wierd about cooking the chicken and then eating it! So I avoid cutting up raw chicken with all my might! But if you are normal and don't have an issue like that, you could dice it up very small and let it cook up with the vegies, but hold off on adding the black beans until later) While the chicken is boiling chop up the onion and pepper and sautee in olive oil on medium heat. Remove the chicken from boiling after 12 minutes or so and shred with two forks. Place shredded chicken into the onions and pepper. Add in the black beans. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and add the water. Let bubble and blend flavors for 5 minutes or so. Top with your favorite taco toppings and eat slowly so it's not over too quickly!

* We have many times eaten this dish without the meat. Simply add some sliced zucchini and any other vegies you would like. Makes a great vegetarian option
  

No comments:

Post a Comment