Saturday, April 26, 2014

Spinach, Tomato and Feta Pizza

 
 
I think that Pizza may be the universal symbol for happiness! Or maybe that's just in my world but in my opinion you can not go wrong with having a pizza night. It lifts mommy's moods and makes kiddos happy. It may be the ultimate cuisine. I love pizza! I recently resorted to this white pizza after running out of mozzarella but having Feta cheese on hand. It was the perfect combination, of course and it is now one my current favorite way to eat pizza. Plus it's just so pretty and colorful! 

Ingredients for the crust- prepare one hour before dinnertime
1 1/2 cups of warm water
1 TBSP yeast
1 tsp sugar or honey
3-3 1/2 cups of white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tsp salt

With a fork, I stir together my water, yeast, sugar and 2 cups of flour. Once combined I add the other cup of flour, olive oil and salt and knead, right in the bowl, until it comes together. Once that happens, I use my mixer with the dough hook to knead the dough for about 5 minutes. You can just use your hands if you don't have a mixer. If the dough is too sticky for your mixer or your hands, add another half cup of flour. Cover and let raise for 1 hour. I have rushed this before and it doesn't seem to make much difference, if you're short on time. 

 *This dough recipe makes 2 crust recipes. I made a regular cheese pizza and this spinach pizza. If you want to make 2 spinach pizzas, simply double the spinach amount below* 
 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees and press out pizza dough

Ingredients for the pizza topping:
olive oil
salt, pepper,oregano and garlic powder 
2 cups of fresh spinach
feta cheese
diced red onion
diced tomatoes
Parmesan cheese- I actually grated fresh and used the "shaker cheese" both 

In a saute pan with olive oil, season the spinach with salt, pepper and garlic powder and saute until it just starts to wilt. Remove from heat and scoop onto a plate to stop it from continuing to wilt. 
 
Top the entire crust with olive oil. Season with salt, garlic powder and oregano. Add the rest of the toppings and bake at 425 degrees until feta is browned.  









No comments:

Post a Comment